Formal Letter (Descriptive Reflection)

 

Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,

 

My name is Muhammad Shafiz from SIE 2016 – T5. The purpose of this letter is to introduce myself and for you to get to know me better. I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic with a Diploma in Spatial Design. My design intention while studying spatial design was to recognize my user's experience so that the design I had created could be helpful to them in their everyday lives. During one of my final year projects, I found myself aligning with the direction of Singapore's plan, which is sustainability. As a result, I developed an interest in how engineering systems work and it is my intention to gain in-depth knowledge in the hopes of making a positive impact on the community and benefiting everyone.

My strong point in communication skills is my excellent listening abilities. Listening actively is a crucial skill in life. I use it as my primary method of understanding and communicating with people around me. I can establish long-term trust and rapport in this way. 

Being a reserved person, I often find it difficult to articulate my thoughts or feelings when I communicate with the people around me. It takes me a long time to formulate my thoughts and express them verbally. My thoughts are still scattered, and I stutter for a few moments before I can express myself clearly.

By the end of this module, I hope to improve my self-esteem and confidence when communicating with people. I want to be more confident when speaking in front of a group of people. Secondly, I would like to improve the way I respond to other people when speaking to them.

A characteristic of mine is that I am a good decision maker. I can gather information and weigh the pros and cons before deciding. With this, I sincerely hope that my decision-making skills will serve me well when working on future assignments and projects.

Through the module, I will gain a better understanding of active listening, as well as improving my communication skills. The next few weeks are going to be an opportunity for me to learn from you and improve.

 

Best Regards,

Muhammad Shafiz

Effective Communication T5

Comments

  1. Hi Shafiz,

    Thank you for sharing about yourself.

    The letter is well-organised as the structure is good and all points in assignment are included in your letter. However, I think you can elaborate more on your goals for this module as well as what differentiates you from others.

    Just wondering, what final year project that you worked on sparked your interest in engineering?

    Best regards,
    YX.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yu Xuan,

      I appreciate you taking the time to read my short introduction.

      I will take your advice and improve on my formal letter writing.
      Regarding on one of my final year project, I did a project that revolves around sustainability for future Singapore development. As a design student, I believe that a design without engineering innovation have a certain constraint that limits it's full capability.

      Sincerely,
      Shafiz

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Shafiz,

    Thank you for writing and introducing yourself. You write clearly and explain clearly about your strength and weakness. However, I feel that you can elaborate more on your strength like how can you use your listening skills in conversing and how can you build a rapport.

    Best regards,
    Hairee OMARRRRRR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hairee,

      Thank you for taking your time in reading my short introduction.

      In order to have a proper conversation, I feel that we should listen attentively when someone is speaking in order to avoid any miscommunication and confusion. With that we can give our honest replies and have a proper conversation. Hence, you can build rapport and have meaningful communication.

      Sincerely,
      Shafiz

      Delete
  4. Good day,

    The letter was very meaningful. you have a goal driven mindset and have eagerness for growth. I have worked with you previously for more than a year and you made decisions that are logical and wise. You are a capable person and will achieve far in the future

    Overall is a well written letter. It is very detailed and clear. However, there is a sentence that I found that could be structured better. At the last paragraph, "With active listening as one of my strengths, and the communication skills I will be able to gain by the end of this module", active listening and communication skills should not be parallel to each other.

    I look forward to working with you again.

    Cheers,
    Saiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good day Saiful,

      Thank you for spending a fragment of your time in reading my short introduction.
      I do enjoy my time working with you as well, I hope that there will be more of such opportunity in the future.

      I appreciate the feedback that you have given me and made some amendments to the sentence structure.

      Sincerely,
      Shafiz

      Delete
  5. Hi Shafiz,

    Thanks for sharing more about yourself. The letter is clear and concise. It is well structured and each paragraph is well explained. One improvement you can make is to elaborate more on your strength. Overall, the letter well written.

    I hope that we can achieve our goals by the end of the module

    Regards,
    Irwan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irwan,

      Thank you for your time to read this short introduction.

      I will try and elaborate further on my strength.
      Yes, I do hope so that at the end of this module we get to achieve our goals and targets set.

      Sincerely,
      Shafiz

      Delete
  6. Dear Shafiz,

    Thank you for this richly detailed and fluent letter. You’ve covered the scope of the assignment well and managed to demonstrate quite a bit about what makes you special. Among others points, we readers learn that you have a fascination with design (and by extension I'd guess design thinking). I hope to see that interest play itself out in full view when you and your project team work to develop a design problem solution.

    It's also especially impressive in this letter that you see social and community development being of value. And I applaud the idea of a communicator wanting to establish 'long-term trust and rapport.'

    In the letter, you also do an admirable job explaining your comm skills strength, being a good listener, and a perceived weakness, not being an articulate enough speaker (which ultimately ties in with your module goals). I hope that you take the Zoom lessons as an opportunity to share more openly and more assertively with the class. We all need to hear your ideas.

    In terms of language use, there are a few areas to take note of:

    1. phrasing
    -- The purpose of this letter is to introduce myself and to get to know me better. >
    The purpose of this letter is to introduce myself and for you to get to know me better.

    2. punctuation and capitalization/verb tense
    -- My design intention while studying Spatial Design was to recognize my user's experience so that the design, I created can be helpful to them in their everyday lives.
    >
    My design intention while studying spatial design was to recognize my user's experience so that the design I had created could be helpful to them in their everyday lives

    -- I am willing to venture in depth > (verb tense)

    I look forward to reading more of your writing this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,

      I appreciate you taking the time to read my short introduction. Throughout this module, I hope to make the most of what I can and catch up on areas where I fall short. Thank you so much, Prof, for the kind words. Hearing such a compliment is refreshing and uplifts my spirit.

      During class lessons, I will try to offer more input. As mentioned above, I have also made some amendments based on your comment.

      Sincerely,
      Shafiz

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts